Own Art is designed to make it easy and affordable for everyone to own high quality contemporary art and craft. I am registered with the Own Art scheme, which is administered by WASPS (Workshop & Artists Studio Provision Scotland) and underwritten by Hitachi, and allows you to borrow from as little as £100 up to £25,000 to purchase an artwork and pay it back over 10 months, completely interest-free if you qualify.
All the artwork in my online shop is available to buy through Own Art.
How does Own Art work?
- Once you have decided what you’d like to buy from my online shop, DO NOT PURCHASE DIRECTLY from the shop but instead contact me, Michele Marcoux, at email@example.com or on 07788766230 to let me know the work you you are interested in and that you would like to buy it through Own Art.
- I will then arrange for an Own Art eligibility check with WASPS (Workshop & Artists Studio Provision Scotland) over the telephone. A staff member will guide you through a short online credit application. Proof of Signature (e.g. driving licence or debit card) and Proof of Residency (e.g. driving licence or utility bill) is required.
- If your application is successful, I will organise for your work of art to be either posted or delivered to you as soon as possible.
- Your first monthly payment will be debited from your account 4 weeks’ later.
Customers must meet the following criteria to apply for an Own Art loan:
- Minimum age of 18 years
- A permanent UK resident for a minimum for 12 months
- Named on a personal bank account that allows Direct Debit processing
- Has access to a secure email address
Customers should also be either:
- Working at least 16 hours a week (employed or self-employed)
- A retired person in receipt of a pension
- A person on a disability allowance
- A registered carer
What is Own Art?
Own Art is a national initiative that makes buying contemporary art and craft affordable by providing interest-free loans for the purchase of original work.
Own Art reduces the financial barriers and perceptions of elitism that commonly exist within the art market, by making it easier and more affordable for people to access art, regardless of their income and socio-economic background. Since 2004, the scheme has enabled more than 50,000 customers to get access to the art they love. Delivered through a network of 300 galleries across England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, Own Art has so far supported £40 million of sales of contemporary art and craft to UK customers.
Supporting the Creative Economy
Own Art supports the UK’s creative economy by encouraging increased sales of work by living artists. Working in partnership with our diverse network of member galleries, we are helping to build the UK market for contemporary art and craft.
WASPS (Workshop & Artists Studio Provision Scotland)
WASPS is a charity that provides affordable studios to support artists, arts organisations, and creative businesses. They currently house about 900 artists and 33 organisations at 20 buildings across Scotland. WASPS administers the OWN ART (which is underwritten by Hitachi) for tenants who have registered for the scheme.
For details on OWN ART please see the WASPS website: https://www.waspsstudios.org.uk/arts/